This MSc in Strength and Conditioning (S&C) is intended to provide students with an excellent opportunity to acquire a deeper understanding and knowledge in the fields of strength and conditioning and human performance.
The programme has been designed with a range of specialist modules to develop the knowledge and skills associated in the area of Strength and Conditioning. The balance of theoretical and practical content will examine advanced strength and conditioning methods, fitness testing and sport coaching technology, fundamental movement, entrepreneurship and management.
A unique feature of the programme is the inclusion of a Management and Entrepreneurship module. This is a core module for S&C coaches to embrace relevant skills of enterprise and marketing necessary to build an S&C profile, reputation, and if desired, business.
The programme has been developed in partnership with Setanta College
This programme aims to provide students with:
- An advanced understanding of both current and emerging knowledge and practice in Strength and Conditioning
- Practical coaching skills in advanced Strength and Conditioning
- Preparation and encouragement to pursue future directions in either academic study or professional coaching opportunities
- An advanced skill set in business and entrepreneurship
- Higher order creative, critical and reflective thinking skills that encourage research, application and evaluation
- A multidisciplinary approach to working within the discipline of Strength and Conditioning
- A rigorous research understanding including preparation to publish a dissertation
- Skills and confidence to contribute to the development of knowledge and practice in Strength and Conditioning
This programme is completed over a 12 month period. From September to May students will attend classes at our LIT Thurles campus where you will have access to our state of the art SportsLab facility (link to video)
. From May to August students complete research on their dissertation.
Completed over a 2 year period, the Blended Learning programme combines a mix of on-line learning with specific workshops/tutorials on-campus. Each year of study includes a two-week workshop at our cutting edge SportsLab in LIT Thurles (link to video)
. The blended learning format provides opportunities for students nationally and internationally to access the programme in a more flexible format, to meet their needs.
The on-line delivery component of the programme involves a mixture of
- Recorded content e.g. lectures
- Live webinars e.g. tutorials on particular topics
- Extensive on-line discussion boards and activities
- Range of activities e.g. quizzes and assessments which engage students with their peers and their content.
No specific software is required by the student to engage in the on-line aspects of the programme. All content will be collated and managed through LIT’s Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle). Students complete 3 modules in a 12 month period.
Students can start the programme in either November or March.
*See Apply tab for Fees and Closing Dates